If you live in the Forest, Lynchburg or Roanoke areas of Virginia and have a fear of the dentist, you’re not alone.
As the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) points out, an estimated 12% of people have high dental fear and another 17.5% have moderate dental fear.
That’s more than the percentage of people with a fear of heights, snakes or falling!
One of the worst things about dental anxiety is that it can make Forest residents avoid the dental office at all costs, except for emergencies.
Without going to the dentist twice a year, there’s a huge risk for a small dental problem developing into a bigger one, since most of us can’t identify warning signs.
Fortunately, the sedation dentistry services at Forest Smiles are a solution for dental fear and can give you peace of mind about your next visit to our Forest, VA, office.
Why Use Sedation?
Not sure if you have dental fear? There are actually some signs that indicate an issue, such as trouble sleeping the night before your dental visit. Or, you might just feel nervous heading to the appointment, or in the dental office waiting room. Another sign is uneasiness at the thought of objects being placed in your mouth.
Addressing dental fears is just one of the benefits of sedation dentistry, however. Here are some other reasons for using sedation during dental treatment:
- Relaxes the patient, leaving them refreshed after any dental work.
- Allows the dentist to deliver high-quality care in a shorter amount of time.
- Eliminates pain or makes the patient unaware of it.
- Helps patients who are unaffected by numbing.
Now that you know the reasons for sedation dentistry, you should know about the different types of sedation dentistry we use at Forest Smiles and which is right for residents of Forest, Lynchburg, Roanoke and the surrounding areas.
Sedation Dentistry Types
The type of sedation dentistry you’ll receive at our Roanoke-area practice depends on the procedure and your level of dental anxiety. That being said, there are generally two types of sedation dentistry:
- Oral Sedation – The most common type, oral sedation simple involves taking a pill. The dosage is usually ideal for minimal or moderate sedation.
- IV Sedation – Often known as “sleep dentistry,” this type of sedation is ideal for patients with high dental anxiety. IV sedation delivers a sedative into your vein, leaving you almost or totally unconscious.
Dr. Claiborne and our Lynchburg-area dental staff will consult with you and do everything in their power to ensure you have a comfortable, positive experience. We believe that taking care of your mouth shouldn’t cause anxiety and that sedation dentistry can help.
If you’d like to know more about sedation dentistry, schedule a consultation with Forest Smiles today!