Forest Smiles – The Best Dentist in Lynchburg, VA
Nobody likes cavities, and some ways to prevent them or fix them can cause a dent in your wallet. Here are five beneficial tips on how to continue your days without having to deal with cavities:
1. After every meal be sure to brush your teeth. By brushing your teeth after you eat, you are removing all the harmful acids and bacteria that will eat into your teeth and cause a cavity. This will work best if you have a good technique and the right toothbrush. Some people seem to find that an electric toothbrush will be easier than the standard toothbrush. The downside of this is that an electric toothbrush can get costly for changing the heads and the brush, as opposed to the standard manual toothbrush.
2. Make sure that you are flossing often. Yes flossing can be a pain but, flossing does the most when it comes to removing bacteria buildup between the teeth and particles of food where cavities will form. If you floss twice a day, your trips to the dentist will not be as unpleasant as you would imagine. Floss can come in many varieties, be sure to ask your dentist for some samples and find out what type of floss is comfortable for you.
3. Mouth washing after a meal will benefit you greatly. Mouth washes have been proven to be almost as effective as flossing your teeth. Aside from preventing cavities and cleaning your mouth, it will also make your breath smelling fresh and clean. There are many places that will have mouth wash readily available for you after having a meal.
4. Chewing sugarless gum after a meal to freshen your breath may not be as effective as the previous steps above, although it does have some benefit. Sugarless gum works in a few different ways. By chewing the gum it will help produce saliva which will aid in the dislodging of any food stuck between your teeth. It will also help slow down the growth of tooth decay. Putting a pack of gum in your pocket or purse is quick and can help you in times when you don’t have a mouth wash or a toothbrush readily available.
5. Visit your dentist and receive a checkup around every six months, or even more frequent if you are more prone to dental problems. If you have been following these steps, then hopefully your dentist will congratulate you on your efforts. If a cavity does happen to appear, by going to the dentist regularly, you will have the cavity located and treated within your visit. If a cavity is caught early on by a dentist, they can prescribe you toothpaste that will counter it.